On today’s episode, Mark and Andy have an online interview with Todd Adkins. You will not want to miss this episode! We discuss leadership, utilizing technology, church size, and our favorite topic- disciple making. Todd Adkins is the Co-Founder of The LifeWay Leadership Podcast Network. He is also the Director of Leadership Development at LifeWay Christian Resources in Nashville, TN. Click on the links we have listed to check out his website, blog, videos, and podcast. We had a great time talking with Todd, and we hope you enjoy listening.
- “We are really good at talking about the priesthood of the believer, and we are really poor at practicing it.”
- “We moved the finish line backward.”
- “We do have an emotional tie to say that the pastor’s calling is a little more special than everybody else’s. He’s kind of got a red phone to God. I can pray to God, but he’s got, like, the red phone!”
- “I, as a church leader, need to go through (follow me now, this is not heresy, I promise) three great awakenings in my life…. When did I come to know Christ? When did I figure out what He made me to do? (Like, when did I move from Ephesians 2:8 and 9, to Ephesians 2:10.) … And then, when, as a church leader, did I go to Ephesians 4?”
- “It wasn’t that I didn’t practice leadership placement… but what I did not pass along to them… what leadership development looked like.”
- “In some regards, we are living in a cut-flower culture as churches. We are living on the fumes. We are living on the nutrients that were drawn up in the past, … We are not replacing what has already been built.”
- “Massive advantages to a smaller church. In fact, I would say, if you are a larger church, you need to work toward getting smaller environments where you can see some of these things happen…”
- “It was the good and godly people who were engaged in the work of the ministry that made me who I am.”
- “People used to come to our churches two or three times a week. Now, they come two or three times a month. When we’ve got ‘em, let’s make sure… we are trying to get them to a specific place.”
- “I would challenge listeners to go back and consider what they can kill, what they can stop, what they can starve (if they don’t have the political change in their pocket right now), in order to move forward in the Great Commission of making disciples, who make disciples, who make disciples; who realize they weren’t just saved from something, but saved for something.”
- “Audit someone… and ask them how it really happened, versus how you think it happened.”
- “If nobody can accuse you of exclusivity, you’re probably not developing anybody. At best, you’re delegating to people in your church.”
Here are just some of the resources mentioned in this episode:
Todd’s website : https://toddadkins.com
5LQ (Five Leadership Questions) Podcast : https://leadership.lifeway.
New Churches Podcast : https://leadership.lifeway.
LifeWay’s Leadership Pipeline :https://leadership.lifeway.
Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening Podcast :http://toddadkins.com/
Ministry Grid : https://ministrygrid.com
90 Second Leadership : https://www.youtube.com/
playlist?list= PLnXkQQuxHqmgWG3B0YBls7GZvirZr JOuu